Covid-19 & Volunteering at
McQuesten Urban Farm!
To ensure public safety, reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission, and continue to operate as an essential food security community project, we have developed Volunteer Program Guidelines that correspond with the Government of Ontario’s Zones of Pubic Health Measures
(subject to change).
Control – Red: up to 10 outdoor volunteers (or up to 5 indoors) + 2 Urban Farm staff
Lockdown – Grey: up to 5 outdoor volunteers (no indoors) + 2 Urban Farm staff
Emergency Stay at Home Order – 1 outdoor volunteer* (no indoors) + 1 Farm staff
*Two permitted only if it is an adult & youth from the same household
Prior to a booked time slot, Volunteer’s receive a confirmation email with the following COVID-19 Safety Protocols. They are also reviewed during the on-site Volunteer Orientation.
1) Maintain a safe distance of 6ft from staff, community members and fellow volunteers.
2) Please work at your designated workstation or worksite.
3) Use only designated volunteer tools (these are colour coded). At the end of your shift in the designated tool-cleaning zone, wipe clean the tool handles & spray sanitize handles with bleach sanitizer.
4) BYO garden gloves (or a pair of reusable garden gloves will be given to you)
5) Masks are optional when working distanced outdoors, however you may be asked by staff to wear a mask. Please have one with you at all times. Masks are mandatory when volunteering inside or entering the building. Please Bring Your Own mask. If you do not have one, a disposable mask will be provided to you.
6) Please exercise proper hand hygiene. Hand sanitizer and paper towels will be provided. Please use hand sanitizer when you arrive and at the end of your shift.
7) Please exercise respiratory etiquette at all times. This may include coughing or sneezing into your arm/sleeve.
8) There is limited access to indoor washroom facilities (one scheduled break per volunteer shift in order to maintain distancing). Please arrive prepared for the weather and BYO water bottle.
9) You will be asked three screening questions by email in advance of your booked volunteer timeslot, and again upon arrival at the start of your timeslot.
If you answer yes to any of them, we will ask that you stay home or return home to monitor your symptoms and/or to self isolate:
1) Do you have any of the following new or worsening symptoms or signs?
Symptoms should not be chronic or related to other known causes or conditions.
• Fever or chills
• New onset or worsening of cough or other symptoms
• Runny nose/stuffy nose or nasal congestion
• Sore throat/trouble swallowing
• Difficulty breathing or shortness or breath
• Not feeling well, extreme tiredness, sore muscles
• Nauseas, vomiting, diarrhea abdominal pain
• Pink eye
☐ No ☐ Yes
2) Have you returned to Canada from outside the country (including the United States) within the last 14 days?
☐ No ☐ Yes
3) Have you been in close contact* with someone that tested positive for COVID-19 and/or have you been contacted directly and advised by your local public health unit to self-isolate?
☐ No ☐ Yes